BMA of America Moral Action Proposed Resolutions
• For the U.S. Coins — “In God We Trust” was first inscribed on American coinage in 1864 and in 1956 Congress made it the National Motto of the United States. We resolve to continue supporting this.
• For the U.S. Congress — Congress has opened its session with prayer since 1774, usually given by its official chaplain in both houses. We resolve to continue support of these prayers.
• For the U.S. Flag — Congress placed “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 to combat the rise of atheism and communism. We resolve to continue this pledge.
• For the U.S. Court — Since 1820, the U.S. Supreme Court has opened its sessions with the unison prayer of “God save the United States and this Honorable Court.” We resolve to support this prayer pledge.
• For the Presidential Oath — Since the first president George Washington added “so help me God” to the inaugural oath April 30, 1789, every U.S. President since has likewise asked for God’s help in their Presidency. We resolve to continue supporting this brave oath.